Tuesday 25 February 2014

Plunkett & Macleane
Dir: Jake Scott
1999
***
For me Plunkett & Macleane was all about the visuals. I don't want to bad mouth Jake Scott because I'm a fan of his work but I felt it was a little bit of style over content. I find it quite nostalgic as it is oozing the 1990s. It's Britpop, it's the rise of the lad with all the front, music and attitude that came with it. Dated but I have a soft spot for it as well as a healthy revulsion. To be honest I like it more as a game of spot the future comedian. Both David Walliams and Matt Lucas are obvious but look again and you'll find Alexander Armstrong and Ben Miller dressed and acting like future characters from their sketch show ten years later. Look even closer and you'll spot Noel Fielding. A fun jaunt but destined to be forgotten I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment