Tuesday 4 March 2014

Air Doll
Dir: Hirokazu Koreeda
2009
*****
A Japanese film about a sex doll that comes to life? What is it with these pathetic Japanese men I thought, perverts the lot of them! Then I watched the film and was silenced. It's not the sordid sex comedy I assumed, instead it is one of the most tender and loving films I've seen in recent years. Firstly, the cinematography is nothing short of beautiful. It's not at all about sex, it's more to do with succumbing and submission, being a slave to ones self. We are all sex dolls. It makes a number of well thought-out points in a unique and intelligent way. What did the Tin man do with the heart when he finally got it, was Pinocchio as underwhelmed once he became a boy? Sure, it is melancholy at times but the innocence and beautiful honestly is what is key to this films excellence. Hirokazu Koreeda's is a director I want to see more from.

No comments:

Post a Comment