Thursday 27 March 2014

Bulworth
Dir: Warren Beatty
1998
*
I missed this in the cinema and have wanted to see it ever since. Suspicions that it wasn't very good appeared when I saw it was showing on free channel Movie Mix - the home of bad movies. Intelligent and witty satire based comedy aimed at modern politics - check! Ruining every intelligent element by telling the same joke over and over again even though it wasn't very funny the first time - check! Accidentally stereotyping black people in a negative way even though it is supposed to be standing up for said black people - check! This film made me cringe like no other. I think people have rated this highly based on what it could have been rather than what it is. The message is lost in a horrible lead performance, racist stereotyping and bad writing. The bad directing, editing and total lack of continuity doesn't help much either. This my friends, is not satire!

No comments:

Post a Comment