Friday 21 March 2014

Cloud Atlas
Dir: Andy Wachowski, Lana Wachowski, Tom Tykwer
2012
***
I read the book first. Hark at me. I didn't hate and I didn't love Cloud Atlas the book, I was right down the middle. I did however feel like I deserved an award for perseverance when I'd finished it, I at least expected everyone I passed in the street that day to either high-five me or pat me on the back. The use of language is clever and often wonderful but unfortunately, often underwhelming. I believe the challenge is intentional, but I read for pleasure and stimulation more so than bewilderment and puzzle. I enjoyed the Luisa Rey chapters and I loved every word of The Ghastly Ordeal of Timothy Cavendish chapters but I disliked An Orison of Sonmi~451 and loathed the Sloosha's Crossin' an' Ev'rythin' After section of the book, I would have stopped then if I hadn't had got so far. I found reading that style headache inducing. I wasn't that fussed about Letters from Zedelghem much either but The Pacific Journal of Adam Ewing part 2 made up for the first part and at least gave some conclusion as to what the hell it was all about. Not a particularly satisfactory conclusion but to be honest, I'd guessed the ending about half way through and I was glad I'd finished it. The film flipped everything on it's head for me. The chapters I disliked in the book really came to life and the chapters I loved were close to awful. The pub scene in The Ghastly Ordeal of Timothy Cavendish was awful. The Luisa Rey chapter lacked any of the suspense and thrill of the book and yet, the An Orison of Sonmi~451 chapter was really good and the Sloosha's Crossin' an' Ev'rythin' After section finally made more sense to me. The editing was nuts and the film was overlong. Just like the book really. After watching the film I felt exactly like it did after reading the book, so in that sense it was a faithful adaptation. It is a masterpiece but with glaring problems. The overuse of prosthetic noses was probably quite apt as it is like putting a Groucho Glasses & nose mask on the Mona Lisa. Don't get me started on the stupid idea of casting a select few actors in all of the roles...

No comments:

Post a Comment