Thursday 6 March 2014

Evil Dead
Dir: Fede Alvarez
2013
**
I love Sam Raimi's original Evil Dead film. I've seen it many times, have read the book and got the t-shirt. No really, I have got the t-shirt! So I was always skeptical about a remake and was never really fully on-board with the idea. My expectations were low, I was only slightly curious. My suspicions were realised. However, of all the horror classic remakes it is one of the better ones. It doesn't come close to the original, and after Joss Whedon's A Cabin in the Woods no horror film that sticks to the same formula is going to impress. Humour is key to any great horror film in my opinion, the original Evil Dead films excelled at this and yet here it is completely absent, like it would make the horror more....horrifying. I'm not disappointed as such because I couldn't care less but I'd like to see the end of the horror remake once and for all. Even the Bruce Campbell cameo didn't make up for it, although you could barely call it a cameo.

No comments:

Post a Comment