Wednesday 19 March 2014

Gravity
Dir: Alfonso Cuarón
2013
*****
Funny old film Gravity. It made me feel dizzy and a little bit sick but in this one and only instance, that was a positive thing. I can find no fault with it, although as much as I love Sandra Bullock and I thought she and George Clooney were great, if I had made the film I would have cast completely different people. In fact I would have made quite a few changes and yet I consider it faultless. What the heck? Maybe the whole blockbuster/indie crossover confused me. In that sense it really is a new kind of film, yes the visuals are amazing, the intensity and drama are exhilarating, and yet the quiet moments are not what we have come to expect from a blockbuster but more from an indie. Alfonso Cuarón started as an indie director and has shown that he can do both and do them well. He has also sold me the concept of 3D filming, I was skeptical before but he has shown the way forward. Thrilling throughout, an amazing cinema experience and pretty much faultless.

No comments:

Post a Comment