Tuesday 4 March 2014

Gregory's Girl
Dir: Bill Forsyth
1981
*****
Bill Forsyth's Gregory's Girl is a bit of a cult film now in the UK. I was going to say it is thoroughly British, it's not, it's thoroughly Scottish but the 1980's, comprehensive school and life in general was like that North and South. It really takes me back. It is a certain quirkiness that may not travel well, I'm not sure why not though, I do believe the British are the easiest of audiences or at least the least lazy. If it's good, we'll have some of it. Back to the film, the performances are great, John Gordon Sinclair steals the show by a mile but the supporting cast, specifically his mates, are also rather brilliant. Compare it to an American 'gross-out' teen comedy of today.....you can't really can you. Of it's time and well worth a visit now and again. Without trying to sound rude or pompous, I honestly do pity those who don't (or don't want to) get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment