Wednesday 5 March 2014

Le Skylab
Dir: Julie Delpy
2011
****
I read a review (or was it an interview?) recently that said that Julie Deply is trying (too) hard to be just like her hero, Woody Allan. I think that is a little unfair, her films are very much her own but I do get the comparisons. At least Deply can do both American and European film convincingly though, I'd rather forget most of Allan's European ventures, in fact, I have. Skylab is a simple premise, very French but a with story that is universal enough. At its heart it is a character piece and a very good one at that. Everything is explored, Love, sex, religion, politics; basically all those things you're not supposed to discuss at the dinner table is discussed, for the best part, at the dinner table. It's well filmed and beautifully written. It's about time people were compared to Deply rather than her be compared to others. I also really like her Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment