Tuesday 4 March 2014

Mental
Dir: P.J. Hogan
2012
*****
I think this film is misunderstood. At no time does the film ever really even faintly pretend to paint a realistic portrayal of Mental illness. That would be in bad taste considering the content. It merely points out certain things us humans do that are pretty odd or 'Mental' or however you want to describe it. P.J. Hogan and Toni Collette made a great film together in the early 90's called Muriel's Wedding. It is brilliant. Everyone I know who saw it, loved it. Everyone else has passed it off as another 'Chick-Flick' and haven't bothered. Considering P. J. Hogan made My Best Friend's Wedding and Confessions of a Shopaholic since, I don't at all blame them. I looked forward to another collaboration and thankfully it was the one us Muriel fans wanted. Mental was probably joint funniest film for me in 2013 alongside Behind the Candelabra. The acting is great, the characters brilliant and the script is fantastic. "Mental is a Shark". If you like your comedy to be a little bit odd, a little quirky and a little in your face without being disgusting than check it out. I love it and I laughed from the belly.

No comments:

Post a Comment