Monday 3 March 2014

Parents
Dir: Bob Balaban
1989
****
The feeling of impending terror is almost overwhelming. This was one of those top shelf video nasties in my local video rental shop in the late 80's early 90s. Back then I used to go in for sweets and comics and just spend hours looking at the horror film section, wishing i was old enough to see them but also terrified at the idea of doing so. I've caught up with most of them but not Parents until now. I was expecting more of a gore/splatter film, there is some but this is very much a film directed by an Actor and someone who understands theatre. I had no idea Bob Balaban directed as well and was surprised to see he'd done this. The 50's suburban nightmare has been done before and many times since but no film can match the intensity and down-right eeriness of Parents. I'll have a Green salad thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment