Monday 3 March 2014

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
Dir: Justin Lin
2006
*
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift is, as our American friends would say, an auto wreck. Do Americans say that or am I making it up? Is it Car Crash rather than Auto Wreck these days? I'm afraid I don't know, I'm not down with the kids and nor do I intend to be. So I'll stop trying. Maybe that's why I didn't like it? Maybe it's far to cool for my slightly awkward white middles class self to handle. I don't think it is though, I think I didn't like it because of how smug all of the kids are. I'm also not that awkward or middle class but I digress. They're all rich, they give cars away for free, they go to school but don't do any homework and go out on school nights and still pass exams. Probably. Girls aren't allowed to speak, they are there to wiggle and dress erotically (if a pencil with lips dancing in a florescent tea-towel is erotic that is, again I'm not down with the kids so I don't know). Where are the parents I hear you cry?? In fact the only two grown ups in the film (apart from the actors who are playing children 10 years younger than themselves) are a washed up heavy drinking sailor and a Yakuza boss. You can't blame them then really, I guess with parents like that these things happen. In that sense it is totally realistic, bad parenting does generally lead to Street racing. It's a global issue. If only there was something we could do, donate money or something. Anyway, the reason why I didn't like it was because I couldn't tell who was real and who was a cardboard cutout. The editing gave me a headache and I just didn't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment