Tuesday 25 March 2014

The House I Live In
Dir: Eugene Jarecki
2012
*****
It seems most criticism for this film comes from the 'It's not entertaining enough' angle. I don't watch a documentary to be entertained, I want to be informed on the subject, I want the facts, I want to hear it from not just the horses mouth but from the stage-coach driver, it's passengers, the stowaway, the people it passes, the people it runs over and from the other three horses pulling as well. This documentary looks at the situation from various different angels but grounds itself from the view of the average American household. A good documentary separates speculation from fact, and that is exactly what happens with The House I live in. It's easy for me as a non-American to criticise the US system but then my house isn't exactly in order right now either. The facts remain, sooner of later America has got to face the facts about its past in order to build a better future. Think for yourselves and never judge those who are in a position you could never imagine. You really should watch this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment