Monday 17 March 2014

The Kings of Summer
Dir: Jordan Vogt-Roberts
2013
*****
The Kings of the Summer was one of the nicest surprised of 2013, a no hype little independent that came from no where. It's in good company, as there is always that little gem of a film that takes everyone by surprise that comes around every so often, that doesn't fit in any particular category, time or place and is just what it is. I love it for that alone. It's pure escapism, filmed beautifully and with great characters. The acting is strong, as is the script and humor. I haven't been a teenage boy for some time but there are certain things about adolescence that you never forget and they got pretty much everything regarding that right. It's nice to see an alternative to the 'frat' style youth film, one that represents the majority and one that doesn't rely on misconceptions and false realities. I give it five stars because I loved and also because I just can't fault it.

No comments:

Post a Comment