Monday 17 March 2014

The Sea Wolves
Dir: Andrew V. McLaglen
1980
*
The Sea Wolves may have been based on a true story but it seems obvious to me that this is yet another case of well seasoned actors wanting to make War films that they used to back in the day. You would have thought that The Wild Geese would have been enough for director Andrew V. McLaglen, a director who like many of the actors in The Sea Wolves, was I'm sad to say, past his prime at this point. I don't want to be unkind because I didn't hate this film nor do I hate these types of film but The Sea Wolves is a carbon copy of The Wild Geese. It has the same poorly written characters; the old timer, the gay one, the funny one..etc, the same unconvincing idea that these old men can perform the impossible and the same frame for frame formulaic action sequences. All that and at no time does it seem that they even attempt to pretend this was the 1940s, something of importance when making a WW2 movie. If this was one of your Granddad's favorite films then I can only imagine he wasn't actually in the War! A great cast, utterly ridiculed.

No comments:

Post a Comment