Wednesday 19 March 2014

The Wild Geese
Dir: Andrew V. McLaglen
1978
**
It's hard to take The Wild Geese seriously, it is instead purely enjoyed as both a nostalgia trip and an example of 'it shouldn't be half as fun as it is'. I say that because of the obvious attempt at trying to give an anti-racist message, making the film acceptable when it is in fact not just racist but homophobic and sexist too. It's a sign of the times for sure. It is both fun and completely ridiculous to watch these aged men act like what have to be the worst mercenaries the world has ever seen. They do a really crap job of it as well, it's pretty laughable throughout even considering its age. It does have some cracking lines in it;

Faulkner: I'm dry when I work.
Sir Edward Matherson: Yes, so I've heard.
Faulkner: There's a separate clause in my contract that says my liver is to be buried separately with honors.
Sir Edward Matherson: I'm not a very humorous man.
Faulkner: So I've noticed.

It would have been a much better film had they just taken it all a little less seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment