Friday 21 March 2014

Thor
Dir: Kenneth Branagh
2011
***
I was a big fan of the Thor comics when I was younger, before I discovered 2000AD. It's because I'm so familiar with the comics that I can appreciate that this was never going to be able to be the new Batman. That's the thing with the Avengers films, the comics are a bit crap. Ironman did so well because the comics were improved on in the film - something that most superhero films born from comic characters fail to do. Seriously, who read the Ironman comics? Thor had a little bit more to prove as he has a bigger fan base; he is a great character but with a very difficult story as far as tying in with the other characters/films. Based on that criteria, they did well. It also warranted the humour it contained but I can see why some didn't favour it. The problem is that the story is so simple, there really isn't anything to grab you. The acting was pretty good, Chris Hemsworth was perfect casting as Thor but for me Portman grated a little. I'm not sure all the CGI suited Kenneth Branagh's directing style either and as for the editing, it's very obvious that a lot made it to the cutting room floor as to much of what we don't see is referenced. Thor - directors cut anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment