Wednesday 2 April 2014

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa
Dir: Declan Lowney
2013
***
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa is a version of Alan Partridge that has been deconstructed and re-imagined for a wider audience. Basically Steve Coogan is doing pretty well in America after being popular in the UK for quite some time now and would like to cash in thank you very much. Why not, he's funny, hard working and deserves it. I was never a huge fan of Alan Partridge though I have to admit, it's the one thing that seems to have ostracised me from my friends and something we never talk about. How dare I not like it. It generally bothers me when they ignore the fans that support and make a TV show a hit by twisting said show into something it isn't for a wider (American) audience who probably won't like it anyway. At the end of the day no one will be happy....apart from me it seems. I quite liked it! I thought it was fast paced, very snappy and easy to watch. Armando Lanucci is dependably funny, his script is as solid as always and I think this version of Alan Partridge is more accessible but also still very much a product of England/Norfolk/Radio. A British TV show made into a successful film? Unheard of but possible, this is proof!

No comments:

Post a Comment