Friday 11 April 2014

Before Midnight
Dir: Richard Linklater
2013
*****
Before Sunset and Before Sunrise where both romantic fairy tales. The first was all about spontaneity, the passion of youth. The second was more learned, there was an essence of regret but with the magic of second chances. Both were intelligent and both couldn't have been more romantic. As much as I adored these films, I honestly thought they should leave it there (see my review of Before Sunrise). Much like when they announced the second movie, I was concerned. They got away with it once but could they do it again? After watching it my answer is yes and no. Before Midnight is no fairy tale but it is in many respects, the most romantic of the series. Jesse and Celine are proper adults this time round, their relationship has evolved as they have grown older. Their relationship is no longer fantasy, it is reality. On paper I would have said no way and would have begged Linklater not to make it but I'm not sure why I ever doubted them. I'm married and have been in the same relationship for around the same amount of time, real love is arguments and real love is getting over those arguments. Jesse even says in the film (I paraphrase) that this is no fairy tale, I can only offer you genuine love. That's the key to this films success and a success it is. I now believe they should make another film every 9 years for the rest of their lives. It's already something special but to see a lifelong romance like this, raw, real and uncompromising, would be of benefit to all and very much appreciated. This is real romance and glorious it is too to see it represented authentically for once.

No comments:

Post a Comment