Monday 28 April 2014

Cocoon
Dir: Ron Howard
1985
****
Ron Howard's Coccon continues the 80's idea that Aliens are our friends and need our help in this very sweet popcorn movie. I can't help but think that it was born as an alternative and more appealing guide in how to cope with the passing of a Grandparent. That's how I saw it anyway and for what it's worth I think it works well in that sense. I like the idea that my Grandparents are living happily on another planet somewhere teaching Aliens the joys of English Poetry, Cricket test scores 1918-1956, who is who in Coronation Street and general domestic tips to make your house a home. It's just as ridiculous as any version of the afterlife anyway. It's nice to see older folk being the main characters in a film too and I think that is one of the reasons Cocoon always seems to stand out compared to other well loved 80's films.

No comments:

Post a Comment