Tuesday 29 April 2014

Diary of a Wimpy KidRodrick Rules
Dir: David Bowers
2011
**
I caught the first one by chance, otherwise I probably wouldn't have watched it. I certainly wouldn't have watched the sequel unless I enjoyed it so here we are. Since viewing and reviewing the first film I have discovered the comics that they are based on which might have lowered my appreciation of the film somewhat. The comic is simple and funny and pretty deadpan. I don't get that level of deadpan in the movie at all, in fact it is almost a sickly-sweat opposite. It's still likable but this sequel less so. The magic of the first seems to have extinguished somewhat after the success of the first, maybe they made it too soon or maybe new director David Bowers just didn't understand it as much as Thor Freudenthal did. Maybe it's because I didn't watch it on a Airplane on my way to somewhere sunny, it is entirely possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment