Friday 11 April 2014

Hamlet 2
Dir: Andrew Fleming
2008
**
Hamlet 2 has its moments but doesn't quite achieve what it sets out to. At times the performances hide the bad writing but most of the time the good writing is spoiled by bad performances. I've never been much of Steve Coogan fan, I can't say watching him fail at physical comedy while putting on the worst American accent I've ever heard has warmed me to him either. Catherine Keener and David Arquette are wasted and I'm a little bit in love with Elisabeth Shue, so good on her for taking this risk but I personally want better for her. Basically all this was actually done for real when Jerry Springer The Opera came out, it basically rips off the true story. In years to come when Coogan is interviewed as an old man this will be the example he gives when he talks about trying to crack America and not quite succeeding at first.

No comments:

Post a Comment