Friday 25 April 2014

Monsieur Verdoux
Dir: Charles Chaplin
1947
*****
Monsieur Verdoux I suppose was a risk for Chaplin back in 1947, unfortunately it didn't pay off for him at the time as the mainstream audiences wanted only 'The Tramp' from him which was very unfair. It seems some people still don't appreciate it today which I don't quite understand. The British were making black comedies to great success at the time, I guess the American audiences just weren't ready for it and refused to let Chaplin move on from silent film into 'Talkies'. Personally I thought it was brilliant. It was a dark comedy, which I like, and it is very funny. People are wrong to say the 'Talkies' ruined Chaplin's career. He was more than capable in a talking role, in fact he excelled! As always, ahead of his time and a victim of his own success.

No comments:

Post a Comment