Friday 11 April 2014

Oz the Great and Powerful
Dir: Sam Raimi
2013
****
Disney harp on about how this is their movie and how bringing Oz to film was Walt's big idea and the only thing he never achieved but this is very much something better. This is a Sam Raimi film, and it is a brilliant adaptation of L. Frank Baum's visions of Oz but it works as a companion/homage to the classic Judy Garland 1939 film. I think Raimi got it spot on! He even manages to get the recent popular Theatre version, 'Wicked' in there. This is a project in which it would be hard to please everyone but I can only see minor fault with it. Why the hate I do not understand? Ok, so the CGI is sketchy in places, particularly towards the beginning of the film and the Bruce Campbell cameo wasn't good enough, where the hell was the 1973 Oldsmobile Delta 88? but seriously, I really enjoyed it. James Franco was good (in full Bruce Campbell mode), Mila Kunis and Rachel Weisz good also, Michelle Williams I fell in love with all over again and for me, China Girl is my favourite character of the year so far, I loved her. I can't be the only one who loved it surely?

No comments:

Post a Comment