Wednesday 2 April 2014

Salting the Battlefield
Dir: David Hare
2014
***
David Hare's Johnny Worricker trilogy comes to an end in Salting the Battlefield. While the first film had espionage and intrigue and the second one had 'Hollywood' and murder, the third one only has the long awaited conclusion as it's selling point but I'm not sure it was the one we were expecting in that it was exactly what everyone was expecting. I'm not sure if that's what I liked about it or not, I'm glad they didn't go over the top as that wouldn't be in keeping with the style (it's all about Jazz didn't you know) but I thought that maybe there would be at least a little twist towards the end. Again, it's all about the performances, Ralph Fiennes's sociopath PM gets more screen time and Olivia Williams pops up in a fantastic performance as a fictional version of The Independent's poisonous don't-give-a-damn trustworthy/untrustworthy editor. Both are worth watching for alone. I think I'd like more from Johnny Worricker, there is something about the character that is ever so moreish even though the films are fairly average.

No comments:

Post a Comment