Wednesday 9 April 2014

The Divide
Dir: Xavier Gens
2011
**
The Divide is a contrived load of nonsense. Aspects of it are great and from the reviews I've read I seem to be the only person who actually liked the ending. In fact, much of the film was pretty decent and I really liked the overall idea. It's the character development that really ruined it for me, that and the pointless moodiness highlighted by a soundtrack that couldn't have been more out of place if it tried. People do not go mad, turn into murdering transvestite rapist after only two days of incarceration. I don't care what the circumstance. OK, so I've never been in a shelter after an apocalyptic event, hopefully I never will but while I acknowledge there would be a level of madness and understand that some of the people who were with me might do terrible things under pressure, I do not believe that they will start cross dressing, will become sex slaves, will make others pretend to be Dogs for entertainment, cut each others fingers off or not look for a way out! After two days!!!! Stretch the timeline out (put beards on the guys for Goodness sake), change the soundtrack (think John Carpenter or Under the Skin) and get on with telling the story instead of bombarding the viewer with pointless montages. Then maybe a good film you will have.

No comments:

Post a Comment