Thursday 3 April 2014

The Long Memory
Dir: Robert Hamer
1953
****
The Long Memory is an overlooked noir classic. The performances are fantastic, John Mills in particular plays his part perfectly. The direction is as good as you'd expect from the great but woefully under-appreciated Robert Hamer and the script is killer: "It is not justice we need. Not anything as big as that. Just the right to exist, without being hurt, without doing hurt." It's a real edge of your seat thriller as well, it's influence on today's revenge films is clear although this remains one of the more intelligent I've seen. The beginning sequence alone should have given it iconic status by now.

Fay Lowther: You don't remember me.
Boyd: I'm afraid not. Should I?
Fay Lowther: I think you should. After all, I was present on the occasion of your death.

No comments:

Post a Comment