Monday 28 April 2014

The Stone Roses - Made Of Stone
Dir: Shane Meadows
2013
****
I didn't know I liked The Stone Roses until I saw this film and now I think I love them. I would argue that it is down to Shane Meadows's talented documentary making skills and the bands catalog of great songs though and not my fickle nature. This is very much a document of what The Stone Roses are today though, an all access biography of the band can't come for another 20 years or so really and fans should be warned that all those closely guarded secrets are still very much closely guarded. Shane Meadows rightfully steps away when the band encounter familiar problems in their comeback tour although it does feel frustrating that a documentary doesn't document and that it also feels like a bit of shameless self promotion. It makes for a great watch though and the magic that the band possess is undeniable, I look forward to more music and the sequel in about 20 years time.

No comments:

Post a Comment