Friday 2 May 2014

Behind the Candelabra
Dir: Steven Soderbergh
2013
*****
Whenever I think of Liberace I always remember that scene from the original Austin Powers film where while looking over the history books to catch up on the 30 or so years he had missed while in cryofreeze he suddenly declares "I can't believe Liberace was gay". Liberace's talent was matched only by is exuberance. This could have have been the most awful biopic of all time had it been handled by the wrong director but Soderbergh, who I really find hit and miss, got every single thing right. It's probably my favourite biopic of all time now. It is both funny and tender but doesn't pull punches when it has to. Matt Damon has never been better in my opinion and Michael Douglas was unrecognisable and also brilliant. The supporting cast is a mixed bag of fantastic too with Scott Bakula, Debbie Reynolds, Dan Aykroyd and Rob Lowe in a not to be missed performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment