Thursday 1 May 2014

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
Dir: Stephen Sommers
2009
**
I wish Hollywood would leave my toys alone. Actually, if I'm being honest I only had one G.I. Joe and I never played with it. I think my sister married him off to Barbie and that was the last I ever saw of him. I was more into He-Man and M.A.S.K. anyway (I would like to see a M.A.S.K. film thinking about it but I'm sure they'd screw that one up too). The cast is...eclectic! I hope everyone was paid sufficiently. It is nice to see a director showing loyalties to actors he's worked with before though, even if it does mean giving them walk-on parts. As for the story, well I think most 10 year old boys have come up with better scenarios with their toys over the years (Ripcord will, quite rightly, now be the first one to be buried in the garden/flushed down the loo no doubt). There are splashes of the greatness like the ones displayed in the Mummy films but they are too few and far between, Rise of the Cobra is mainly a CGI headache and a bit of a tapeworm story-wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment