Saturday 10 May 2014

Le souffle au coeur (AKA Murmur of the Heart)
Dir: Louis Malle
1971
***
When people mock and stereotype French films without really understanding them, Le souffle au coeur is a good point of reference. No other country produces films so beautifully on the subject of getting ones end away. Of course, as crude as maybe the British and American versions maybe, only the French versions seem to end in our protagonist actually loosing their virginity to their own Mothers. OK, so French Mothers are beautiful, but that's no excuse. As much as I liked the rest of the film and as much as I love Malle I just can't quite get the disgust out of my head. At first I thought it might be a comment on high society, secularism and the Bourgeoisie but I can find nothing documented to back up my idea. Seriously though, if this film isn't supposed to be about the Oedipus complex, why include the incest? When people claim this is one of Malles best I can only think that they haven't seen much of his work. Once again though, that is just my opinion and you're most welcome to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment