Friday 2 May 2014

Life of Pi
Dir: Ang Lee
2012
*****
I seem to be the last person to see Life of Pi but it also seems I'm one of the few people who read the book (based on other reviews I've read). I actually read it when it came out and it has been regarded as 'That book' between me and my Wife for nearly 10 years as we both always disagree about what actually happened in the end. The sign of a good book is the discussions it creates. It's a great book so my heart sank when I heard it was going to made into a film. Firstly I thought, 'it's impossible to film' but I think Ang Lee did a fantastic job. Just to get my criticism over and done with, I thought the CGI was a little overdone but it was truly beautiful at times. The story didn't need sexing up, it was good as it was and that leads me to my biggest annoyance; really good films are never made into really good books. I'm actually disappointed that Ang Lee has made an honest and accurate adaptation because it will only lead to more kids not bothering to read the books first. Not his fault, if you're going to do an adaptation you should do it right but there it is, my only gripe. The film is wonderful. As good as everyone said it was and pretty much faultless.

No comments:

Post a Comment