Wednesday 21 May 2014

Star TrekGenerations
Dir: David Carson
1994
****
Star Trek: Generations was made purely so that the Next Generation cast could get a bit of the movie action the original cast had enjoyed for just over a decade. Fair enough, they deserved it and in many respects Next Generations was better and more accomplished than the original (although I know a few Romulans who would lynch me for saying that). They had also been flying around the galaxy for 5 years at this point and a move to films instead of TV was only natural. So, how to pass the baton from one to the other? Well for my money they managed quite successfully. Throw in a great guest performance from Malcolm McDowell and they were laughing. I didn't like certain aspects of NG that they brought with them from the show though, the Holodeck nonsense in particular but overall the feel of both old and new felt right. I did think Kirk deserved a better death than that though. Didn't he always used to say "I'll never die alone"!? He had at least a couple of people with him. A sad farewell but an interesting chapter in the Star Trek world.

No comments:

Post a Comment