Tuesday 20 May 2014

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
Dir: William Shatner
1989
***
You can see why William Shatner would want to direct after seeing his buddy Leonard Nimoy do so successfully twice. Unfortunately he's not as good. The story is a bit too cheesy, even for 1980s Star Trek and the comedy is a little too over cooked. There is plenty to like about it though, it's certainly nice to watch old friends having fun which is exactly what this is. It may be regarded as the worst film that the original crew made but I would argue that it has all the best lines. My favorites include; "What does God want with a Starship?", "I need my pain", "Jim! You don't ask the Almighty for his ID!" and my favorite bit of dialogue:
Kirk: I thought I was going to die.
Spock: Not possible. You were never alone.
[Kirk moves to hug Spock, and Spock stops him]
Spock: Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment