Friday 23 May 2014

The Boat That Rocked (AKA Pirate Radio)
Dir: Richard Curtis
2009
**
I liked The Boat that Rocked but I also hated it. It is too long and story-wise, a bit of a mess. That said, I liked the idea and the cast is great with some very funny performances. I just wish Richard Curtis would have given the idea to someone else to make. Firstly, it gives a very wrong account of the real story. My parents used to talk of Radio Caroline with great fondness and it would have been great to hear the true story. Also, the Marine Offences Act was passed for very good reason, not because the government didn't like Rock and Roll. It was past by the late great Tony Benn, who I have the utmost respect for, he is hardly the Conservative character that Kenneth Branagh portrayed in the film. For one thing he was a Labour man. It's these stupid inaccuracies and tweaks that really annoy me, it makes for a good film sure but there is already a good film in the true story, don't be so lazy and do some homework. Did I mention that I can't stand Richard Curtis?

No comments:

Post a Comment