Wednesday 14 May 2014

The Master
Dir: Paul Thomas Anderson
2012
*****
Now don't get me wrong, The Master is brilliantly directed, but what I admire most about Paul Thomas Anderson is that he doesn't over direct. Kubrik's version would have been much more lavish, PTA lets the performances take the lead and just adds a few beautiful long shots and some impressively long takes so as not to be gratuitous. In that sense, he is the best director working today. The Master can be slow in places and I can see why the ending was a disappointment to some but it's been a very long time since I've seen as good as a performance from an actor, let alone two in the same film! Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman are awesome, why the hell did neither of them win any of the awards they were nominated for? I've not always been a fan of PTA but I think what he is doing now is brilliant and I'm hungry for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment