Wednesday 14 May 2014

The Outlaw Josey Wales
Dir: Clint Eastwood
1976
***
I'm not at all sure The Outlaw Josey Wales is the classic it is often regarded as, in my opinion it was only just above average. That said, there does seem to be more to the story than most films of its ilk. I can't think of many anti-war Westerns, so I commend its originality, which still stands to this day. It's certainly a western that is easy to watch and it's length is justified. It's gritty too, like a Western should be. One thing I want to know though is why Clint Eastwood insisted that his character continually spat at his Dog? Is this supposed to by symbolic? A reminder that although he is our 'hero' we should remember that he's not a nice guy? You could analyse Eastwood's film until the cows come home, personally I don't think there is often much to it other than he's can be a bit of an arsehole sometimes. The Arsehole Josey Wales doesn't have the same ring to it thought really (excuse the pun).

No comments:

Post a Comment