Tuesday 3 June 2014


The Change-Up
Dir: David Dobkin
2011
*
The 1980's called, it wants its film back. Actually, its changed its mind, you can keep it. How long can the body-swap story-line work for? Anyway, although this kind of comedy isn't my thing it does have its place and serves a purpose. Well, sometimes anyway. I'm no prude but the swearing was overused. I love swearing, I do it all the fucking time but when it's overdone it looses its purpose and becomes annoying and redundant and certainly not funny. The film is part 'gross-out' (a term I dislike) and part 'Shock tactic', although the two generally go hand in hand these days leaving little room for decent writing. Okay, so you could argue that I'm taking it all a little bit too seriously but I'd have to ask why every actress had to get naked at least once? They were either portraying the nagging wife or a sex doll. Doesn't anyone find that a tiny bit wrong? As a man, I also feel a little tired of being stereotyped by Hollywood as it seems we are either sex pests or autistic businessmen. But the swearing makes it funny right? Or was it the baby smashing its head against the wall, was that the funny bit? The story is far too exaggerated too but then in the end all is back to normal and there are no repercussions whatsoever! Wow, did David Dobkin really write this or did he copy it off a 12 year old boy? Or is he just a unimaginative man that has somehow hit the big time and made it big in Hollywood because Hollywood has become a big dumbed-down money making cesspit of bad ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment