Tuesday 3 June 2014

West is West
Dir: Andy de Emmony
2010
****
I disliked East is East so I had very little interest in seeing the sequel. I really didn't see the point in it at all and judging by the amount of people who did see it (and their cutting reviews) I don't seem to be the only one. East is East was so over-hyped, 'It's the next Full Monty' people said, as if that was ever a good thing! The Full Monty was shit and over-hyped as well (so actually it was quite a good description). Anyway, I watched this film when it was on TV and I couldn't have been more surprised. Gone were the tired cliched stereotypes, the stupid Dog and the whole 'Aren't we all so different but also, aren't we all the same' nonsense. This film focused on the reality of growing in a different culture but also being of that culture and the difficulties involved. The story is of young and old, the Father and the youngest son. It was brilliantly handled and unlike the first film the humour and seriousness of the issue are balanced perfectly. It's everything the first film should have been, highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment