Friday 25 July 2014

Enough Said
Dir: Nicole Holofcener
2013
*****
I've been a fan of Nicole Holofcener's for quite a while now and for me Enough Said is her best so far. The pairing of Julia Louis-Dreyfus and James Gandolfini was perfect, her sassy confidence and his laid-back and slightly sarcastic demeanor makes for the perfect not-so-perfect coupling. Why isn't Julia Louis-Dreyfus in more films? Much like Nicole Holofcener as a director, she switches from TV to Movie mode effortlessly when many actors/directors can't. It will be remembered for being the late great James Gandolfini's penultimate film, last as leading man but I'm not sure you could ask for a better swansong. Enough Said is well written, brilliantly performed and very very funny. It's convincing as both a comedy and a romance and that hasn't been achieved in Hollywoodland for quite some time in my opinion, certainly not as well. Five stars, as I just can't fault it.

No comments:

Post a Comment