Tuesday 22 July 2014

Les Invisibles
Dir: Sébastien Lifshitz
2012
***
Sébastien Lifshitz's documentary is sold as a film about the difficulties and hardships that several elderly homosexual men and women encountered when they chose to live openly in France at a time when society rejected them. I was expecting some serious stories to be honest, some defiance in the face of adversity. This wasn't really the case. The people interviewed were interesting people who did go through hardships but on the whole there isn't anything that remarkable about them. Is this for people who will be shocked to find that old people can be homosexual too, because if this is the target audience, I'm not sure they'd watch it in the first place. I'm afraid I can't really see the point. I like listening to older people though, so i enjoyed it, I'm just not sure what it was trying to say or if it succeeded in doing so. I'm afraid the nonsense 'Walls remember' scene did damage to the film's overall charm in my opinion but not enough for me not to recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment