Friday 4 July 2014

Ordet (The Word)
Dir: Carl Theodor Dreyer
1955
***
A powerful and well shot film certainly, the performances are second to none, particularly from Henrik Malberg and Preben Leerdorff-Rye. I would argue however that Ingmar Bergman was making similar and far superior films at the same time and that better films of the ilk have been made since. It's obvious to me now that one of my favourite films of all time, Breaking the Waves, was influenced by Ordet but I would argue it is better. Once you get past the simple premise it becomes a little obvious, so apart from the performances and the beautiful direction I'm afraid I found it a bit dull. I would recommend Breaking the Waves and Jessica Hausner's brilliant 2009 film Lourdes if the story appeals.

No comments:

Post a Comment