Thursday 21 August 2014

RoboCop 2
Dir: Irvin Kershner
1990
****
Edward Neumeier and Michael Miner had nothing to do with RoboCop 2 and neither did Director Paul Verhoeven. They achieved everything they set out to in 1987's RoboCop which is rightly regarded as a modern classic. very little of the satire that made the first film great is present in the second film, it is essentially an action film that somewhat misses the point. However, I still think it's brilliant. It's the cheesy action film people that so many mistook the first film to be and I find it impossible to dislike. I even like all the aspects of the film that aren't very good but then nothing is ever taken that seriously. The original film got me into film big time, RoboCop 2 got me into comics. When I realised that Mr Frank Miller wrote the script it all made sense. I don't think it takes anything away from the original and with The War on Drug still a hot topic in 1990 it isn't that far from it's political satire roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment