Wednesday 24 September 2014

Croupier
Dir: Mike Hodges
1998
**
As much as I love most things 90's, Croupier seems to have dated before its time. I like the idea and I like the story, I just don't think it was directed very well. In fact I'd go as far to say it looks amateurish and a bit 'Made for TV'. Mike Hodges is a better director than this so I'm not sure went wrong. Clive Owen is okay and it was a blast from the past seeing Paul Reynolds again but the rest of the cast are pretty dire. Gina McKee was awful in fact and Kate Hardie's performance summed up how females were unfortunately portrayed in 90's dramas. Alex Kingston was okay though, annoying how I used to watch Moll Flanders again and again to see her boobs when I could have been watching this all along and seen everything. Naughty boy that I was, still, Moll Flanders was a hell of a lot better. I'm not sure I get the love this film seems to have got over the years. Nior wannabe rather than Neo-Noir would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment