Friday 12 September 2014

Drinking Buddies
Dir: Joe Swanberg
2013
***
Sited as the first film of the 'Mumblecore' movement to be recognised as such and to high acclaim. Personally I think the term mumblecore is as stupid as it sounds. I recognise the style and like it most of the time but this style is nothing knew and is quite common universally. It's a bullshit idea that applies only to those who refuse to watch anything other than independent American cinema, like it's the pinnacle of all things creative. I'm not knocking independent American cinema, I like it very much but there is a huge difference between this kind of film and the French new wave and much in between. The need to label everything has lead to everything being labeled incorrectly, misunderstood and unfairly ridiculed, like there are any rules. Anyway, Drinking Buddies is a performance driven simple tale of relationships and beer. I work brilliantly although I did find myself wondering if director Swanberg knows the difference between intrigue and pulling teeth. For all of its pain flaws (and they are painful) it can't be accused of being unrealistic, the truth is that these are painful truths brought to life. Well done but frustrating all the same. Why only 3 stars? Because you can only watch it once.

No comments:

Post a Comment