Tuesday 16 September 2014

In A World...
Dir: Lake Bell
2013
****
I wasn't really sold on Lake Bell but I am now after watching In A World..., her motion picture debut. It's apt that she writes a film about voice actors because she quite clearly has something to say. This film is about equality but it's never preachy and never does our lead moan, in fact quite the opposite. The sobering but cuttingly real scene with her and Geena Davis about the truth of women's lib is subtle but brilliant and shouldn't be looked on as a downer in the movie as I think it has been. To be clear, this film is about equality, not women's lib as such and I think once you've noticed that the better it is. The performances are quite wonderful, with everyone pulling their weight. The structure of the film is fresh and hard to get used to at first but a very welcome change of pace. As comedy dramas go I think it's been unfairly over looked but it could be a good candidate as a future classic when rediscovered in a few years time, which I'm positive it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment