Tuesday 2 September 2014

Kill Your Darlings
Dir: John Krokidas
2013
***
Personally, I could take or leave the Beat Movement. I like William Burroughs's work very much and Howl is a good poem but Kerouac is one of the most overrated authors of all time. On the Road bored me. The film version bored me even more so. Stephen T. Kay directed a nice little film in 1997 called The Last Time I committed Suicide that was written by Neal Cassady but apart from that, give me Charles Bukowski over the rest any day of the week. I don't get the hype surrounding Dane DeHaan either and I'm sorry, but Daniel Radcliffe still can't act. What should have been one of the more interesting and shocking stories from the Beat gang, soon turns into a headache inducing mix of unconvincing passion, poor impersonation and annoyingly spoiled children. It is however, beautifully directed and the attention to detail is faultless. Better editing and a whole new cast could have made all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment