Tuesday 16 September 2014



Sucker Punch
Dir: Zack Snyder
2011
***
sucker punch
n
1. a sudden surprise punch, esp from behind
2. a sudden unexpected defeat or setback

Well, Sucker Punch the film was certainly a surprise. I didn't really know what to expect, as I had no idea what the story was about, only that a group of girls shoot stuff up and kick bottom. It was much better than that thought and much better then I'd heard it was as I've heard nothing but bad things about it. It was quite ambitious of Zack Snyder, a director who I'm warming to quite a lot, he did really well but didn't quite tick all the boxes. I liked the story, the escape into one world and then into another but it also felt a bit cheap, what with all the scantily clad girls running about amid the undertones of sexual abuse. That didn't sit too well for me even though it did feel like a modern exploitation film, although I'm not sure if that was its intention. I just wish Snyder would concentrate on his adult audience a little more and his 13 year old boy audience a little less. I was still pretty impressed and entertained, it just could have been a whole lot better considering the original idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment