Tuesday 16 September 2014

Ted
Dir: Seth MacFarlane
2012
***
For me, Ted seems to be for all of the kids who grew up in the 80's. Kids like me who loved films like ET and The Boy who could Fly etc. Instead of trying to recapture those films for a new audience, this film is made for us 80's kids who have now grown up. For that, I thank you Seth MacFarlane and I wish others would now follow suit. However, you do not speak for a generation. I liked Ted and I like Family Guy but to a point. It's racist and offensive to many minorities, the excuse that 'We're just holding a mirror up to society' doesn't work anymore. It's not satire and it's no longer funny or effective. Take out the racism and the few unfunny jokes and you've got something special but as it is it is unfortunately tarnished. Three stars for the idea and for the brilliant Sam Jones Flash Gordon cameo but beyond that it is somewhat short of being the masterpiece it could have been. The possibilities were endless, a Teddy Bear smoking weed is funny for a couple of seconds, they really could have done so much more with the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment