Wednesday 3 September 2014

The Glenn Miller Story
Dir: Anthony Mann
1954
****
Although I don't think James Stewart is a truly great actor, I'm drawn to him and enjoy his films and performances very much. Never once did I feel I was watching Glenn Miller during The Glenn Miller Story. I was watching James Stewart and I was okay with that, although I really like Glenn Miller and wanted to see him instead. The first half of the film is Hollywood; James Stewart wears cap = a young Glenn Miller, James Stewart not wearing cap = Glenn Miller gets serious, James Stewart goes grey = Glenn Miller is now older (even though he was only 40 when he died and wasn't grey) etc. Needless to say Hollywood will never let facts get in the way of a good story - or biopic in this case. That said, the second half of the film is pure Miller. His songs make the film come to life as do the cameos from friends and collaborators. This is what makes The Glenn Miller story great. That and Stewart's voice of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment