Friday 26 September 2014

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Dir: Peter Jackson
2013
***
The story continues. The sequel has a bit of a faster pace than the original, which was welcome. The original story is still stretched a little thinly though and the addition of extra characters and events is sacrilege (or so my more nerdy friends tell me). I liked the Stephen Fry and Sylvester McCoy cameos very much and I thought the Smaug special effects were rather good. I liked the film but it's beginning to get a little samey. You've either seen it in the last film or in TLOTR.  The Smaug scene at the end of the film is the big pay off and obviously what was concentrated on most because all the other action films are over the top, ridiculous, cartoon-like headaches. The barrels down the river scene made me feel a little bit sick, the effects were laughable in places and I thought the whole thing was utterly unnecessary. Seriously, compare the special effects to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (the Dragon bit) and it doesn't hold up at all. All part of the filler I guess. I liked it but cut out 30 minutes or so and I would have loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment